Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Feb. 9-15.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64
- Single-lane closure westbound on Feb. 9 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure eastbound on Feb. 10-11 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on Feb. 10-13 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
High Rise Bridge, I-64
- Mobile, single-lane closure eastbound on Feb. 11 from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on Feb. 10 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 Widening Project, Newport News / York County / James City County
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) Feb. 9-13, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 281) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Feb. 10-13, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Feb. 14, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Feb. 15, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Feb. 16, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-264 east off-ramp to I-64 west (exit 14C) on Feb. 10 from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Alternating, multi-lane closures on I-264 east from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) on Sunday, Feb. 9, starting as early as 7 p.m. through Monday, Feb. 10, at 5 a.m., and on Wednesday, Feb. 12, starting as early as 7 p.m. through Thursday, Feb. 13, at 5 a.m.
- A slow roll with stoppages of up to 20 minutes on I-264 east from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) on Sunday, Feb. 9, starting as early as 11 p.m. through Monday, Feb. 10, at 5 a.m. The backup date for this work is Monday, Feb. 10. Read the full traffic alert here.
- Double-lane closures on the I-264 east collector-distributor lanes (outside set) from I-64 to Newtown Road (exit 15) on Tuesday, Feb. 11, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, double-lane closures on I-64 west from Twin Bridges to I-264 on Feb. 10-14, starting as early as 7 p.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (exit 16) to Newtown Road (exit 15) on Feb. 10-13 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the I-64 west off-ramp (exit 284) to I-264 east on Feb. 12-14, starting as early as 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the I-264 east off-ramp (exit 14) to I-64 west on Feb. 13-14, starting as early as 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
HRBT Expansion Project: For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.