Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of May 10-16.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges. Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64:
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on May 11-14 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17:
- Alternating, single-lane closures northbound on May 10 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
High Rise Bridge, I-64:
- Single-lane closure eastbound on May 14 from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264:
- Single-lane closures eastbound on May 12-14 from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
I-64 Widening Project, York County:
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) May 10-14, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic shift scheduled to begin overnight starting as early as May 12, on I-64 west between Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) and Colonial Parkway.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion:
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 281) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- May 11-14
- I-64 westbound from 6:30 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 eastbound from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 15, from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- May 16, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- May 17, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 Express Lanes:
- Full closure of I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on May 13 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Full ramp closures on I-64 west May 11-14, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- Off-ramp to eastbound Armistead Avenue/LaSalle Avenue (exit 265A)
- Off-ramp to westbound Armistead Avenue/LaSalle Avenue (exit 265B)
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Alternating, double-lane closures on I-264 east from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) on May 10-14 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-264 east collector-distributor road (outside set) from Newtown Road (exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16) on May 10-14 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-264 west at Witchduck Road (exit 16) on May 11-15 from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (exit 16) to Newtown Road (exit 15) on May 10-15 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Ongoing closure with detour of southbound Newtown Road at the I-264 interchange. More information is available here.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).HRBT Expansion Project:For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.