Starting tonight, work resumes between Jefferson Avenue (exit 255) and Lee Hall (exit 247), in both directions, between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. each day through Friday morning.
Drivers should expect single-lane closures in that area. One lane will remain open at all times.
In January, VDOT posted 55 mph signs in the work zone now that temporary concrete barriers are in place.
The work is dependent upon weather conditions.
The first phase of the widening project – estimated to cost about $122 million – will add one lane and one shoulder in each direction for the 5.6 miles between Jefferson Avenue in Newport News and Route 143 in York County (exit 247).
The first phase is slated for completion in December 2017.
The entire I-64 widening, which will happen in three phases, will stretch to the second Route 199 interchange in York County (exit 234).
WYDaily has teamed up with VDOT to keep commuters updated with the latest information on the widening. Click here for an overview and updates.
- VDOT to Host Groundbreaking Ceremony for I-64 Widening
- VDOT Shows Off Plans to Widen I-64 to Water Country
- Preliminary Engineering Work to Begin on Widening I-64 to Water Country USA
- VDOT: First Phase of I-64 Widening to Be Finished By December 2017
- Expense, Uncertainty Underscore Challenges of Widening I-64 to Richmond
- York Supervisors Remove I-64 Widening from Legislative Priority List
- Transportation Planners Prioritize I-64 Widening Near Williamsburg
- VDOT Hosts Public Hearing on I-64 Widening
- VDOT Schedules Public Hearing for I-64 Widening
- VDOT: I-64 Could Be Six Lanes from Jefferson to Lee Hall by Winter 2018
- HRTPO to Consider Widening I-64 to Near Lee Hall
- Proposed I-64 Widening Project Reaches Next Milestone
- VDOT: I-64 Widening Pre-Construction Work Moving at ‘Breakneck Speed’
- With HRTPO Vote, Interstate 64 Widening Could Stretch to Lightfoot
- VDOT: I-64 Widening Will Go From Jefferson Ave. To At Least Ft. Eustis Blvd.
- VDOT Crews Surveying on I-64 to Prepare for Widening Project
- Public-Private Partnership Could Speed Up I-64 Improvements
- I-64 Widening from Williamsburg to Newport News Gains Momentum
- Transportation Bill Signing Likely Clears Way for I-64 Widening
- I-64 Widening Potentially on the Horizon
- Local Officials Push I-64 Widening in Transportation Bill Discussions
- New Lanes on I-64? Maybe, as VDOT Hosts First Meeting on Options