As the Federal Government opens healthcare enrollment, local facilities will open their doors to residents who need help signing up for coverage.
Enroll Virginia, a nonpartisan effort to educate the state on healthcare laws, has three question-and-answer workshops remaining this month in Virginia Beach, and will be hosting four free walk-in enrollment sessions at other Hampton Roads locations.
Certified assisters “will be on hand to provide free, unbiased guidance and to answer questions regarding enrollment, re-enrollment and renewals, exemptions, Medicaid/FAMIS and more,” according to a media release.
The walk-in workshop dates are:
- 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Dec. 10 at Bayside Service Library in Virginia Beach
- 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Dec. 14 at Kempsville Area Library in Virginia Beach
- 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 29 at the Central Library in Virginia Beach
The walk-in enrollment sessions are:
- 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Dec. 7 and Dec. 21 at the Clarence Cuffee Community Center in Chesapeake.
- 6 p.m. to 8 p.m Dec. 14 at Slover Library in Norfolk.
- 4 p.m. to 6 p.m Dec. 28 at Churchland Library in Portsmouth.
For the enrollment sessions, “people should bring social security numbers, proof of income (tax return, W-2 form, pay stub), employer phone numbers and address, any current health insurance information; and any current immigration documents,” according to a media release.
Open enrollment is now through Jan. 31, 2016. For coverage beginning Jan. 1, enrollment should be made by Dec. 15.
To find more local help, visit LocalHelp.HealthCare.gov or call 800-318-2596 or 757-627-5423.
The Virginia Beach Department of Public Health is also hosting free enrollment sessions for the health insurance marketplace at the following locations:
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 8 at Kempsville Library
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 12 at Central Library
- 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Jan. 13 at Central Library
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 23 at Joint-Use Library
- 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Jan. 26 at Central Library