The Virginia Beach School Board adopted its budget calendar for next fiscal year (2016-2017) on Tuesday. Here are some important dates to help you follow the process and provide input:
- Nov. 17: Five-year forecast is presented to the School Board and City Council
- Dec. 1: Public hearing on the fiscal year 2016-2017 Operating Budget and Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Budget for fiscal years 2016-2017 to 2o21-2022.
- Feb. 2: Superintendent’s estimate of needs and the proposed fiscal year and CIP budgets are presented to the School Board.
- Feb. 16: Second public hearing on the operating and CIP budgets.
- March 1: The first opportunity the School Board has to adopt the operating and CIP budgets.
- March 15: The second opportunity the board has to adopt the budgets.
- April: The board-approved budgets are presented to the City Council.
- No later than May 15: The council approves the operating and CIP budgets.
The current fiscal year, 2015-2016, has an operating budget is $701.6 million. It ends June 30.