Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of April 12-18.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges. Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions.
Scheduled closures are subject to change based on weather conditions.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64
- Alternating, single-lane closures in both directions on April 13-16 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664:
- Single-lane closure southbound on April 14-17 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
High Rise Bridge, I-64:
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures in both directions on April 15 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264
- Full closure of the on-ramp from Market Street to I-264 west on April 13-19 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 Widening Project, York County
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) April 12-16, from 7 p.m. to as late as 7 a.m.
- Traffic shift scheduled to begin overnight starting as early as April 14, on I-64 east between Route 143/Capitol Landing Road (Exit 238) and Lakeshead Drive.
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 east between Route 143 and Colonial Parkway, April 13-14 from 7 p.m. until as late as 7 a.m.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 281) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- April 13-16:
- I-64 westbound from 6:30 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 eastbound from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- April 17, from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- April 18, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- April 19, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Narrowing of the off-ramp from I-264 east outside set to I-64 west on April 13-17 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (Exit 16) to Newtown Road (Exit 15):
- From April 10 at 7 p.m. to April 13 at 5 a.m.
- From April 17 at 7 p.m. to April 20 at 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-264 in both directions from Witchduck Road (Exit 16) to Newtown Road (Exit 15) on April 13-17 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Double-lane closure on I-264 east from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (exit 16):
- April 17 from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- April 18 from 11 p.m. to 10 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-264 from Witchduck Road (Exit 16) to Newtown Road (Exit 15) from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- Eastbound on April 12-16
- Westbound on April 13-16
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
HRBT Expansion Project: For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.