Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of March 1-7.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on traffic, maintenance and construction in Hampton Roads, visit Virginia Department of Transportation’s 511 website, download the 511VA smartphone app or dial 511.
Bridges & Tunnels
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64
- Alternating, single-lane closures in both directions on March 4-5 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closure southbound on March 2 and March 6 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Mobile, single-lane closures northbound on March 3-4 from 10 a.m. to noon.
- Alternating, single-lane closures northbound on March 2-3 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264
- Full closure of the on-ramp from Market Street to I-264 west on March 2-5, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
High Rise Bridge, I-64
- Single-lane closure eastbound on Feb. 29 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
I-64 Widening Project, York County
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (Exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (Exit 242) March 1-5, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Brief stoppages on I-64 west between Route 199/Lightfoot (Exit 234) and Route 143/Camp Peary (Exit 238) March 3, starting after midnight.
- A consecutive, long-term lane closure under traffic signal control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass continues.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (Exit 281) and Greenbrier Parkway (Exit 289):
- March 2-5, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- March 6, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- March 7, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m
- March 8, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
I-64 Express Lanes
- Full closure of I-64 Express Lanes in both directions on March 2, from 9-11 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Double-lane closures on the I-264 east collector-distributor road (outside set) from I-64 to Newtown Road (Exit 15) on March 1-4 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures on I-264 east (alternating between mainline and collector-distributor lanes) from Military Highway (Exit 13) to Newtown Road (Exit 15) on March 1-4, starting as early as 7 p.m. through 5 a.m.
- Alternating, double-lane closures on I-64 west from Twin Bridges to I-264 on March 1-6 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the on-ramp from Newtown Road to I-264 east on Mar. 2-6 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (Exit 16) to Newtown Road (Exit 15) on March 1-8 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-264 east from Newtown Road (Exit 16) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on March 5-7 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures southbound on March 2-5 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Route 164, Portsmouth
- Single-lane closures eastbound on Route 164 at the West Norfolk Bridge on March 2-6 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
HRBT Expansion Project: For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.