The City of Virginia Beach is monitoring forecasts and preparing for the expected winter storm from late today into Friday morning. Timing of snow and amounts could create hazardous travel conditions.
The Public Works department has 30 trucks prepared with tons of salt, sand and brine, according to a press release. Crews will work 12-hour shifts starting later this evening, depending on weather conditions.
Cancellations and Closings as of 10:30 a.m. for Feb. 20, 2020:
- Virginia Beach Public Libraries:
- All youth and teen library programs scheduled for 4 p.m. or later today (Feb. 20) are cancelled.
- Fifth Grade Battle of the Books programs scheduled for tonight will be rescheduled for another date to be announced.
Tips on how to protect your pipes in preparation for cold weather:
Before Cold Weather Strikes
- Insulate any exposed pipes in your home’s crawl spaces, attic and outside walls. Common insulation materials include heat tape and foam tubing, which can be purchased at your local home improvement store. The more insulation you use, the better protected your pipes will be.
- Seal leaks that allow cold air inside your home near exposed pipes.
- Disconnect any garden hoses and drain outdoor pipes. Turn the supply valve off and cover the exposed pipe(s) and faucet(s) with insulation.
For more information on how to protect your pipes, visit VBgov.com/protect-your-pipes.