Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Jan. 19 to Jan. 25.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64
- Single-lane closure eastbound on Jan. 20-21 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on Jan. 20 and Jan. 24 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664
- Single-lane closure northbound on Jan. 22-23 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17
- Single-lane closures in both directions on Jan. 20-24 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Full ramp closure of I-64 east off-ramp to Tidewater Drive (exit 277B) Jan. 19-23 beginning as early as 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 Widening Project, Newport News/York County/James City County
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) Jan. 19-25, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive near Bruton High School on Jan. 22-24, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- As of Jan. 15, a consecutive, long-term lane closure on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpasses, alternating each direction of traffic under temporary traffic signal control.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes
- Full closure of I-64 Express lanes in both directions on Jan. 20 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 281) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Jan. 21-23, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Jan. 24, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Jan. 25, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Jan. 26, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-264 east from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on Jan. 19-24 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the on-ramp from Military Highway (Exit 13A) to I-264 east on Jan. 20-24 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58) and MLK Expressway (Route 164).
HRBT Expansion Project: For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.