Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Jan. 5 to Jan. 11.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Single-lane closure eastbound on Jan. 8-9 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure westbound on Jan. 6-10 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel, I-664
- Single-lane closure southbound on Jan. 6-7 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
James River Bridge
- Alternating single-lane closures, with intermittent stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes, in both directions on Jan. 6-10 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) Jan. 5-9, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed Jan. 6 from 9-11 a.m.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 281) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Jan. 6-9, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Jan. 10, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Jan. 11, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Jan. 12, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Single- and double-lane closures on I-64 west and I-264 east on Jan. 6-10, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. in the following locations:
- Double-lane closures on I-64 west from Twin Bridges to I-264
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closures on the I-264 east collector-distributor lanes (outside set) from Military Highway (exit 13) to I-64
- Single-lane closure on I-264 mainline (inside set) from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newtown Road (exit 15).
This work will be completed in one location at a time, not simultaneously.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).
HRBT Expansion Project: For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.