Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Dec. 29 to Jan. 4.
VDOT will suspend most highway work zones and lift lane closures on interstates and other major roads in Virginia for Christmas beginning noon, Tuesday, Dec. 31 until noon Thursday, Jan. 2.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on Dec. 30 and Jan. 2 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
James River Bridge
- Alternating, mobile lane closures northbound on Dec. 29-30 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile lane closures in both directions on Dec. 30 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and on Dec. 31 from 9 a.m. to noon
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- Alternating, single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between George Washington Highway (exit 296) and Military Highway (exit 297) on Dec. 29-30 and Jan. 2 starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed Jan. 2 from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Double-lane closures on I-64 west from Twin Bridges to I-264 on Dec. 30 and Jan. 2-4 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Multi-lane closures westbound from I-64 interchange to the Runway Tunnel:
- Dec. 29 and Jan. 4, 7:30 a.m. – 3 a.m.
- Dec. 30 and Jan. 3, 9 a.m. – 3 a.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).
HRBT Expansion Project: For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.