Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Dec. 22 to Dec. 28.
VDOT will suspend most highway work zones and lift lane closures on interstates and other major roads in Virginia for Christmas beginning noon, Christmas Eve until noon Wednesday, Dec. 26.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on Dec. 23 and 26 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664
- Single-lane closure southbound on Dec. 23, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive on Dec. 23, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Dec. 24, from 8 a.m. to noon.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Alternating double-lane closures on I-64 west from Twin Bridges to I-264 on Dec. 23 and 26 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the I-264 east (inside set) off-ramp to I-64 west on Dec. 23 from midnight to 4 a.m.
- Multi-lane closure westbound from I-64 interchange to the Runway Tunnel:
- Dec. 22 and 28, 7:30 a.m. -3 a.m.
- Dec. 23 and 27, 9 a.m. – 3 a.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).
HRBT Expansion Project: For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.