Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Dec. 15 to Dec. 21.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Alternating, single-lane closures westbound on Dec. 16-18, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664
- Single-lane closure southbound on Dec. 19, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Mobile, single-lane closure northbound on Dec. 15, from 8-9 p.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closure in both directions on Dec. 16-17, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Single-lane closure in both directions on Dec. 17-19, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Coleman Bridge, Route 17
- Single-lane closure northbound on Dec. 16-17, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating, mobile, single-lane closure in both directions on Dec. 18-19, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264
- Single-lane closure on I-264 westbound on Dec. 15, from 6-10 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-264 westbound at the I-464 interchange (exit 8), on Dec. 18-19, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double-lane closure on I-264 eastbound on Dec. 17, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure on I-464 northbound on Dec. 17, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) Dec. 15-19, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive on Dec. 17, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Fenton Mill Road on Dec. 16-20, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening, High Rise Bridge Expansion
- Full closure and detour of I-64 east and west near the High Rise Bridge on the following dates. See full news release here.
- Saturday, Dec. 14, at 11 p.m. to Sunday, Dec. 15, at 6 a.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 15, at 11 p.m. to Monday, Dec. 16, at 4 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 297) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Dec. 15-19, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Dec. 20, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Dec. 21, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Dec. 22, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double-lane closures on I-64 west from the Hampton River Bridge (exit 265) to Lasalle Avenue (exit 265) in Hampton on Dec. 15-17, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, multi-lane closures and slow rolls with stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes on I-64 east and west from Chesapeake Boulevard (exit 278) to Tidewater Drive (exit 277) in Norfolk on Dec. 17-18, between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m.
I-64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed:
- Dec. 16 at 9-11 a.m.
- Dec. 17-18, from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Double-lane closure of the I-264 east mainline/inside set from Military Highway to Newtown Road (exit 15) beginning Dec. 13 at 10 p.m. through Dec. 16 at 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile, double-lane closures on I-64 west from Twin Bridges to I-264 on Dec. 16-19 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure of I-64 east from I-264 to Twin Bridges on Dec. 16-20 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-264, Virginia Beach
- Double-lane closures on I-264 west from Lynnhaven Parkway (exit 19) to Rosemont Road (exit 18) on Dec. 16-19, from 7 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Full closure of the US-58 east on-ramp to I-95 north, Dec. 17-18, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating, double-lane closures westbound from the I-64 interchange to the Runway Tunnel:
- Dec. 15, 7:30-3 a.m.
- Dec. 16-17, 9-3 a.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).
HRBT Expansion Project: For future lane closures and project updates related to the HRBT Expansion Project, visit HRBTExpansion.org.