The Virginia Department of Transportation is trying to make Thanksgiving travel a little less hectic.
VDOT will be suspending most highway work zones and lifting most lane closures on interstates and other major roads in Virginia from noon Wednesday, Nov. 27, until noon Monday, Dec. 2.
- All HOV restrictions on I-66 will be lifted on Thanksgiving Day.
- Go online to find directional schedules for the reversible 95 Express Lanes.
- I-395 Express Lanes are now open and will operate on a regular schedule.
- I-64/I-264/I-564 HOV Diamond Lanes and 64 Express Lanes – HOV restrictions will be lifted from noon on Wednesday, Nov. 27 to noon on Monday, Dec. 2. Express lanes tolls will be lifted on Thursday, Nov. 28. The 64 Express Lanes in Norfolk may be used at no cost to motorists outside of normal operating hours, including Sundays. To learn more about the 64 Express Lanes, click here.
- If you plan to drink, have a designated driver
- Buckle up and ensure children and car seats are safely and properly secured
- Maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you
- Use your signals for lane changes and turns
- Keep your eyes on the road
- Take a break if you are drowsy
- Don’t drive distracted, and speak up if someone else is doing so