Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Oct. 20 to Oct. 26.
Because of the potential for inclement weather, the previously announced lane closures for this weekend on mainline I-264 east near I-64 have been canceled.
At this time, a double-lane closure of the I-264 east mainline/inside set from I-64 to Newtown Road (exit 15) is scheduled beginning Oct. 25 at 10 p.m. through Oct. 28 at 5 a.m.
These closures are subject to change based on weather conditions.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Alternating single-lane closures westbound on Oct. 21-24, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Bridge-Tunnel, I-664
- Single-lane closure on I-664 north between College Drive (exit 8) and the MMMBT on Oct. 20, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264
- Test openings lasting up to 35 minutes each on Oct. 27:
- eastbound, between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m.
- westbound, between 4 a.m. and 6 a.m.
I-64 Southside Widening – High Rise Bridge, Chesapeake
- Full closure and detour of I-64 east and west near the High Rise Bridge on Saturday, Oct. 19 at 11 p.m. to Sunday, Oct. 20 at 6 a.m. and Sunday, Oct. 20 at 11 p.m. to Monday, Oct. 21 at 4 a.m. (See the full release here.)
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway (exit 281) and Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289):
- Oct. 20-24, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Oct. 25, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Oct. 26, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Oct. 27, from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-64 west to Yorktown Road (exit 247), Oct. 20-24, starting as early as 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures on Yorktown Road:
- westbound on Oct. 18-24, from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- eastbound on Oct. 20-24, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Penniman Road at the I-64 overpasses on Oct. 20-24, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) Oct. 20-24, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass Oct. 21-25, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Oct. 24, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed:
- Oct. 21-25, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Oct. 20-25, from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
I-64, Newport News
- Double-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between Fort Eustis Boulevard (exit 250) and the Denbigh Boulevard overpass on Oct. 22-24, starting as early as 7 a.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Double-lane closure of the I-264 east mainline/inside set from I-64 to Newtown Road (exit 15) beginning Oct. 25 at 10 p.m. through Oct. 28 at 5 a.m.
- Double-lane closure on I-264 west from Witchduck Road (exit 16) to Newtown Road (exit 15) on Oct. 21-26 from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on Route 58 west on-ramp to I-664 north in Chesapeake on Oct. 20, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double lane-closures on I-664 north from Aberdeen Road (exit 3) to Powhatan Parkway (exit 2), Oct. 21-23, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double-lane closures from the I-64 interchange to the Runway Tunnel:
- I-564 west:
- Oct. 21-26, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Oct. 21-25, from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- I-564 east on Oct. 21-25, from 8 p.m. to 11 a.m.
- I-564 west:
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).