Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Oct. 13 to Oct. 19.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Alternating single-lane closures in both directions on Oct. 15-17, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17
- Alternating single-lane closures in both directions on Route 17 at the James River Bridge in Isle of Wight County on Oct. 14-18, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
High Rise Bridge, I-64
- Alternating single-lane closures in both directions, Oct. 15-17, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264
- Single-lane closures westbound, Oct. 15-17, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating, mobile single-lane closures in both directions, Oct. 17, from 9:30 a.m. to noon
- Double-lane closures on I-564 west from the I-64 Interchange to the Runway Tunnel:
- Oct. 14-19, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Oct. 14-18, from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m.
I-64 Southside Widening – High Rise Bridge, Chesapeake
- Full closure and detour of I-64 east and west near the High Rise Bridge on Saturday, Oct. 19 at 11 p.m. to Sunday, Oct. 20 at 6 a.m. and Sunday, Oct. 20 at 11 p.m. to Monday, Oct. 21 at 4 a.m. (See the full release here).
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- Oct. 13-17, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Oct. 18, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Oct. 19, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-64 west to Yorktown Road/Jefferson Avenue (exit 247), Oct. 14-17, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Yorktown Road and Penniman Road at the I-64 overpasses on Oct. 14-17, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) Oct. 13-18, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Overnight lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, Oct. 13-17, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- With assistance from Virginia State Police, there will also be a series of temporary stoppages on I-64 west, lasting no longer than 20 minutes each, for bridge work at the Lakeshead Drive overpass, Oct. 16-17, between midnight and 5 a.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed:
- Oct. 15-18, from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Oct. 16-17, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Full ramp closure on U.S. Route 58 west on-ramp to I-664 north in Chesapeake on Oct. 14-16, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double lane-closures on I-664 north from Aberdeen Road (exit 3) to Powhatan Parkway (exit 2), Oct. 15-17, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Double-lane closure of the I-264 east mainline/inside set from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newtown Road (exit 15) beginning Oct. 11 at 10 p.m. through Oct. 14 at 5 a.m. (See the full release here.)
- Single-lane closure of I-64 east from I-264 to Twin Bridges on Oct.14-18 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double-lane closure of the I-264 east mainline/inside set from I-64 to Newtown Road (exit 15) beginning Oct. 18 at 10 p.m. through Oct. 21 at 5 a.m. During this time, Ramp 284A from I-64 east to I-264 east will be closed, with a detour to Indian River Road. The I-64 reversible HOV lanes will also be closed to eastbound traffic during this time, reopening to westbound traffic at 11 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 20.
- Double-lane closure of I-264 east from Newtown Road (Exit 15) to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on Oct. 14-18 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Left-shoulder closure of I-264 west at Witchduck Road (Exit 16) on Oct. 17-18 from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).