Here are the identities of the four killed in a vehicle crash at Norfolk International

(Southside Daily/Courtesy of 13NewsNow)
(Southside Daily/Courtesy of 13NewsNow)

NORFOLK — The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner and police have officially identified the four people who were killed in a crash at Norfolk International Airport last month.

Investigators say Christal V. Uwejeyan, 28, of the 9600 block of 13th Bay Street was driving her 2018 Dodge Journey SUV toward the departures area at Norfolk International when she lost control of the vehicle and drove off the road at the curve. The car struck a tree and caught fire.

The three passengers, 22-year-old Kiara Y. Mobley of the 700 block of Stanwix Square, 22-year-old Shakeeral M. Lawrence of the 200 block of West Ocean View Avenue, and 30-year-old Derwin A. Perry of the 1700 block of Greenleaf Drive, also died in the crash. All four occupants were pronounced dead at the scene.

The crash happened shortly before 1 a.m. on Sept. 21.

Norfolk Airport police and other witnesses tried to rescue the occupants, but were unable to get them out before the vehicle was engulfed in flames, authorities said.

Investigators said speed appears to have been a contributing factor; however, it is unknown at this time if alcohol was involved.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous articleA Virginia Beach man is crowdfunding to save Pembroke Manor
Next articleGeorge Edward Herder, 94, served in the Navy during World War II
John Mangalonzo ( is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.