Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Sept. 29 to Oct. 5.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Single-lane closures westbound on Sept. 30 – Oct. 3, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17
- Single-lane closures in both directions on Route 17 before the James River Bridge in Isle of Wight County on Sept. 30 – Oct. 4, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-64 west off-ramp to Route 238/Yorktown Road (exit 247) on Oct. 3, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) Sept. 29 – Oct. 3, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound and from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. eastbound.
- With assistance from Virginia State Police, there will also be a series of temporary stoppages on I-64 east, lasting no longer than 20 minutes each, for bridge work at the Lakeshead Drive overpass, Sept. 29, between midnight and 5 a.m.
- Overnight and daytime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, Sept. 30 – Oct. 4, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Sept. 29, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- Single-lane closures on Route 143 Merrimac Trail in both directions, Oct. 3-4, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside Widening – High Rise Bridge
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- Sept. 29 – Oct. 3, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Oct. 4, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Oct. 5, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
I-64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed:
- Sept. 30 – Oct. 5, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Double-lane closure on I-64 west from Indian River Road (exit 286) to the Twin Bridges in Norfolk, Sept. 29 – Oct. 1, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Fort Eustis Boulevard (exit 250) to Jefferson Avenue (exit 255) in Newport News on Sept. 29 – Oct. 3, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on U.S. Route 58 west on-ramp to I-664 north in Chesapeake on Oct. 3-5, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Slow rolls with stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes between 5:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. and single-lane closures from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Oct. 1-3, on I-95 in both directions from Route 301 to Quarter Moon Road.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).