4 dead following vehicle crash at Norfolk International; separate crash kills woman

(Southside Daily/Courtesy of 13NewsNow)
(Southside Daily/Courtesy of 13NewsNow)

NORFOLK — Four people died after a car crashed into a tree and caught fire Saturday morning at Norfolk International Airport.

Police said the call regarding the incident was received around 1 a.m.

Preliminary investigation by police indicated the car was traveling in the 2200 block of Norview Avenue heading toward the departures area of the airport. It left the roadway, struck a tree and caught fire.

All four occupants were pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Information on their identities was not immediately released.

Another deadly crash

In a separate and unrelated incident Saturday morning, a woman died in a single-vehicle crash in the 1500 block of East Virginia Beach Boulevard, also in Norfolk.

Police were called there around 1:40 a.m. and found the woman, who was the driver of the car, suffering from injuries related to the crash.

The Norfolk woman, D’Nicia Al’Niqua Artis, was taken to a hospital where she later died. She was 27 years old.

Police said she was driving a 2006 Acura TSX westbound on East Virginia Beach Boulevard when the vehicle struck a median after crossing over Park Avenue.

The vehicle rolled over and struck a pole, then a tree. Artis was ejected from the vehicle, police said.

Police said speed appears to be a contributing factor for this crash, but at this time it’s unknown if alcohol was a contributing factor.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous articleFilm and discussion panel to bring sharp focus to the struggles of Arab Americans
Next articleThis Maryland-style food truck business is planting roots in Norfolk
John Mangalonzo (john@localvoicemedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.