Official: Virginia Beach Oceanfront replenishment project withstood Hurricane Dorian

Virginia Beach Oceanfront (Southside Daily)
Virginia Beach Oceanfront (Southside Daily)

VIRGINIA BEACH — A replenishment project which put millions of dollars’ worth of sand on a portion of the Oceanfront appears to have withstood Hurricane Dorian.

City coastal programs manager Dan Adams says visual inspections of area beaches have been under way since the weekend. He says erosion from wind and wave action is “minor.”

Surveys will be conducted over the next few weeks to determine how much sand was lost.

Great Lakes Dredging and Dock Co. completed 75 percent of a $22.6 million sand replenishment project before it had to stop at the end of August. Dredging restrictions are in place through mid-November as sea turtles migrate.

The company is scheduled to return to Virginia Beach on Nov. 15 to complete the project.

RELATED STORY: In case you’re wondering: Here’s what’s up with the city’s Beach Renourishment Project

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
SHARE
Previous articleAnnie Irene Thigpen, 80, faithful member of Glorious Church of the Lord Jesus Christ of the Apostolic Faith
Next articlePhase 1 of the Elizabeth River Trail enhancement project is nearly finished
John Mangalonzo (john@localvoicemedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.