If you see smoke coming from NAS Oceana on 9/11, don’t panic. Here’s what’s up

An F/A-18 Super Hornet during a demonstration at the air show in 2017. (Rami Yoakum/Southside Daily)
An F/A-18 Super Hornet during a demonstration at the air show in 2017. (Rami Yoakum/Southside Daily)

VIRGINIA BEACH — In preparation for air show performances which feature fire, Naval Air Station Oceana will conduct a pre-show controlled burn of airfield vegetation Wednesday.

The controlled burn will reduce the potential for “unplanned fires” that could happen during the air show.

The burn is anticipated to last a day and be completed one hour prior to sunset, NAS Oceana officials said.

During the procedure, residents may experience smoke coming from the base.

Additionally, aircrew stationed at NAS Oceana will practice air power and tactical demonstration flight routines starting at 10 a.m. Thursday and ending Sept. 18.

Some of the high-performance maneuvers will be noticeably louder than the normal day-to-day operations at NAS Oceana.

Also this week, routine flight operations will be conducted by aircraft operating at NAS Oceana and Naval Auxiliary Landing Field Fentress. There are no curfews in effect at these installations.

Some flights may therefore occur late at night, officials said.

The NAS Oceana Air Show is free and open to the public on Sept. 21 and 22.

For information on the air show visit: www.oceanaairshow.com

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous articleMargaret C. ‘Peg’ Metcalfe, 94, active member of her local civic league
Next articleConstruction begins on Laskin Road Bridge Replacement & Widening project
John Mangalonzo (john@localvoicemedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.