Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Aug. 25 to Aug. 31.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Single-lane closures eastbound, on Aug. 25-29, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures westbound, on Aug. 25-27, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel, I-664
- Single-lane closure southbound, on Aug. 26-29, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures southbound, on Aug. 27, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Single-lane closure northbound, on Aug. 25-29, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures in both directions, on Aug. 27-29, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) on Aug. 25-29, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound and from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. eastbound.
- With assistance from Virginia State Police, there will also be a series of temporary stoppages on I-64 east, lasting no longer than 20 minutes each, for bridge work at the Lakeshead Drive overpass on Aug. 27, between midnight and 5 a.m.
- Daytime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at I-64 overpass on Aug. 26-30, from 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- Daytime lane closures under flagger control on Colonial Parkway at the I-64 overpass, on Aug. 27-29, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
I-64 Southside Widening – High Rise Bridge
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway, on Aug. 25-29, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
I-64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed:
- Aug. 23-24, from 8:30 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Aug. 26, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Double-lane closure on I-64 west from Indian River Road (exit 286) to the Twin Bridges, on Aug. 25-26, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on northbound Route 17/George Washington Highway on-ramp to I-64 west Aug. 31-Sept. 1, 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Single-lane closure, with two stoppages lasting up to 15 minutes, on I-64 west off-ramp to Route 17/George Washington Highway (exit 296A), on Aug. 31- Sept. 1, from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Consecutive, single-lane closures in both directions on Route 17/George Washington Highway, from 7 a.m. Aug. 31 until 4 a.m. Sept. 2
- Triple-lane closure on I-564 between I-64 west interchange to Terminal Boulevard, on Aug. 26, from 6 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-264 east off-ramp to I-64 west (exit 14C), on Aug. 29, from midnight to 4 a.m.
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Full closure of the I-264 east mainline/inside lanes from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newtown Road (exit 15), and the I-64 east ramp to I-264 east on Aug. 23-26, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Traffic will be detoured to the collector-distributor road (outside set) of I-264 east. The flyover ramp (exit 284A) from I-64 east to I-264 east will also close during this detour, with a diversion to exit 284B. The I-64 reversible HOV lanes will reverse to westbound as early as 10 p.m. during this detour.
- Closure of the I-64 west ramp to I-264 east (exit 284B) on Aug. 26-29, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double left lane closure of I-64 west from Twin Bridges to I-264 on Aug. 27-29, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Right lane closure of I-264 west from Witchduck Road (exit 16) to Newtown Road (exit 15) on Aug. 27-29, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).