This man was a leader of a ‘large-scale’ pot operation, feds say

Jamil Taylor-Kamara (Southside Daily/Courtesy of Western Tidewater Regional Jail)
Jamil Taylor-Kamara (Southside Daily/Courtesy of Western Tidewater Regional Jail)

A Virginia Beach man was sentenced Wednesday to five years in prison and ordered to pay a $300,000 forfeiture judgment for his involvement in what federal authorities described as a large-scale marijuana distribution enterprise.

According to court documents, Jamil Taylor-Kamara, 23, was one of two leaders who shipped large quantities of marijuana from California to the Hampton Roads area to be distributed.

The packages of marijuana were often shipped using a Ship ‘n Click account through the U.S. Postal Service, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia.

During the conspiracy, 222 packages were shipped containing approximately 750 pounds of pot.

On one occasion, Taylor-Kamara and a “co-conspirator” were arrested in Illinois transporting 256 pounds of marijuana. The proceeds from the marijuana were sent back to California by depositing the money in various bank accounts in Virgini.

The money was then withdrawn from those accounts in California, prosecutors said.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous articleBody found inside SUV that drove into pond
Next articleThe Treasurer’s Office is opening a location on Sabre Street with the Planning Department. Here’s what’s up
John Mangalonzo ( is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.