Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Aug. 11 to Aug. 17.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Alternating single-lane closures eastbound and westbound, on Aug. 12-15, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures northbound and southbound
- Aug. 12-13, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Aug. 12-15, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures, on Aug. 14, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) on Aug. 11-15, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound and from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. eastbound.
- With assistance from Virginia State Police, there will also be a series of temporary stoppages on I-64 west, lasting no longer than 20 minutes each, for bridge work at the Lakeshead Drive overpass on Aug. 13-15, between midnight and 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass as follows. (Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.):
- Aug. 12-16, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Aug. 13, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Daytime lane closures under flagger control on Colonial Parkway on Aug. 13, between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- Aug. 11-15, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Aug. 16, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Aug. 17, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Express lanes will be closed:
- Aug. 12, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Aug. 16-17, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double-lane closure between Fort Eustis Boulevard (exit 250) and the Denbigh Boulevard overpass, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.:
- eastbound, Aug. 11-14
- westbound, Aug. 13-15
- Possible slow rolls with stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes and a double-lane closure on I-64 west from the Denbigh Boulevard to Bland Boulevard, on Aug. 11-12, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double-lane closure on I-64 east at the Hampton River Bridge eastbound, on Aug. 11, from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Double-lane closure on I-64 east at Greenbrier Parkway (exit 289), on Aug. 11-12, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double-lane closure on I-64 east from the Twin Bridges to Indian River Road (exit 286), on Aug. 11-12, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on Chesapeake Boulevard south on-ramp to I-64 east, on Aug. 13, from midnight to 4 a.m.
- Full closure of the I-264 east mainline/inside lanes from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newtown Road (exit 15), and the I-64 east ramp to I-264 east on Aug. 9-12 and on Aug. 16-19, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Traffic will be detoured to the collector-distributor road (outside set) of I-264 east. The flyover ramp (exit 284A) from I-64 east to I-264 east will also close during this detour, with a diversion to exit 284B. The I-64 reversible HOV lanes will reverse to westbound as early as 10 p.m. during this detour.
- Closure of the I-64 west ramp to I-264 east (exit 284B) on Aug. 12-16, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.