With summer days sometimes feeling unbearably warm, there’s nothing better to do than to get out into the water.
And because sitting on the beach with hot sand isn’t always ideal — here’s a list of pools, splash pads, and indoor waterparks for you.
- Chesterfield Outdoor Swimming Pool in Norfolk is $3 per person and is closed on Thursdays & Sundays.
- Norfolk Fitness & Wellness Center has both indoor and outdoor pools available where residents pay $5 and non-residents pay $10.
- The Ocean View Waterslide is operated by Norfolk residents at the Ocean View Fishing Pier. During the week, $10 gets you an unlimited pass to ride.
- Southside Aquatics Center in Norfolk is an indoor swimming pool known for its two-story twisty tube slide. There’s also a low-depth play area with a fun waterfall for the kids — admission is $3 but kids 5 and below get in free.
- Membership to the YMCA of South Hampton Roads provides access to the Mt. Trashmore location’s indoor and outdoor pools and splash park.
- Hampton Roads Kroc Center has an indoor aquatic center in Norfolk complete with a pool, water slide, and playground for $10 per adult and $8 for kids.
- Bow Creek and Kempsville Recreation Centers in Virginia Beach have indoor water playgrounds — there’s even an aquatic climbing wall at Kempsville. Memberships are available but day passes are $7 for kids ages 3 and up and $9 for adults.
- Williams Farm Recreation Center in Virginia Beach has an aquatic rock climbing wall, indoor water playground, but also an outdoor “sprayground.”
- Norview Community Center Splash Pad is free and open to the public from 10:00 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Shoop Park in Norfolk has a splash pad free and open to the public through mid-August.
- Fountain Park at Town Point Park has 28 water jets shooting water 12-feet in the air and is free and open to the public.
- And, the splash pads at the Virginia Zoo and Norfolk Botanical Gardens are included with admission.