Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of Aug. 4 to Aug. 10.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Single-lane closures southbound, Aug. 5 and Aug. 8, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures eastbound and westbound, Aug. 5 through Aug. 8, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
James River Bridge, Route 17
- Single-lane closures northbound and southbound, Aug. 5 through Aug. 9, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Series of test openings, Aug. 5, between 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) Aug. 4-8, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound and from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. eastbound.
- Daytime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, on Aug. 8-9, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- Nightime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, on Aug. 4-6, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- Aug. 4-8, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Aug. 9, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Aug. 10, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed:
- Aug. 5, from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- Aug. 9-10, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Slow rolls with stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes on Aug. 8, and a double-lane closure Aug. 5-8 on I-64 west at the Denbigh Boulevard overpass, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-64 west off-ramp to I-464 north (exit 291A) Aug. 4-5, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure on I-64 west off-ramp to South Military Highway (exit 297A) Aug. 6-7, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
64/264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Full closure of the I-264 east mainline/inside lanes from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newtown Road (exit 15), and the I-64 east ramp to I-264 east on Aug. 9-12, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Traffic will be detoured to the collector-distributor road (outside set) of I-264 east. The flyover ramp (exit 284A) from I-64 east to I-264 east will also close during this detour, with a diversion to exit 284B. The I-64 reversible HOV lanes will reverse to westbound as early as 10 p.m. during this detour.
- Closure of the I-64 west ramp to I-264 east (exit 284B) on Aug. 6-8, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Slow rolls with stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes on I-95 north and south, from Dry Bread Road to US-58, Aug. 6, between 5 a.m. and 9 a.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).