Man who shot Virginia 7-Eleven robbers won’t be charged

(Southside Daily file/Courtesy of Pixabay)
(Southside Daily file/Courtesy of Pixabay)

VIRGINIA BEACH — A local prosecutor said he won’t press charges against a man who shot two robbers holding up a 7-Eleven store, killing one.

Police said the masked men entered the store at 130 S. Newtown Road with guns and demanded money last week. A man in in the back of the store fired at the robbers with a legally owned gun, killing one and seriously injuring the other.

It was around 2 a.m. last Thursday that police were called to the store.

When officers arrived at the scene, they found “two males suffering from apparent gunshot wounds.” One died there and the other taken to a local hospital with what police described as “life-threatening injuries.”

“Another citizen, who was already in the store and in possession of a legal weapon, confronted and ultimately shot the suspects,” police spokeswoman Linda Kuehn wrote in a news release. “An officer located a third person a short distance away from the 7-11 and took him into custody.”

Commonwealth’s Attorney spokeswoman Macie Allen said they aren’t revealing the man’s identity because he isn’t facing charges.

Medical examiner’s office spokeswoman Donna Price said 18-year-old Michael Moore died from a gunshot wound. Court documents say 18-year-old Ronald Lee Brookins was shot in the neck and was in a wheelchair at his arraignment. A third suspect, 19-year-old Deric Simons, wasn’t in the store, but has also been charged.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
SHARE
Previous articleSusan Finger, 61, registered nurse known for her generosity
Next articleWinston Wiley Wynne Jr., 77, dedicated member of Eastern Shore Chapel Episcopal Church
John Mangalonzo (john@localvoicemedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.