Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of July 28 to Aug. 3.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Alternating single-lane closures southbound, July 30, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Single-lane closure southbound, July 30-31, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Single-lane closures southbound, Aug. 1, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure northbound, July 31, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closure eastbound, July 29-31, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closure eastbound, Aug. 2, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closure westbound, July 29-31, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Northbound and southbound opening, July 30, between 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) July 29 – Aug. 1, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound and from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. eastbound
- Daytime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, on July 29 – Aug. 2, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- July 28- Aug. 4, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- August 2, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- August 3, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed:
- July 26-28, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- July 29- Aug. 2, from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- August 2-4, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Triple lane closures eastbound from Hampton Roads Center Parkway (exit 261) to I-664 south (exit 264)
- July 29, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Aug. 1, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double lane closure eastbound from Hampton Roads Center Parkway (exit 261) to I-664 south (exit 264) July 30-31, from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Double lane closures westbound from I-664 south (exit 264) to Hampton Roads Center Parkway (exit 261) July 28-29, from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Closed on ramp from West Norfolk Road to VA-164E
- Double lane closure southbound from Poindexter St to Military Highway, July 28- Aug. 2, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
64/264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Full closure of the I-264 east mainline/inside lanes from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newtown Road (exit 15), and the I-64 east ramp to I-264 east on Aug. 2-5, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Traffic will be detoured to the collector-distributor road (outside set) of I-264 east. The flyover ramp (exit 284A) from I-64 east to I-264 east will also close during this detour, with a diversion to Exit 284B. The I-64 reversible HOV lanes will reverse to westbound as early as 10 p.m. during this detour.
- Full ramp closure from I-95 north to US-301(Sussex Drive) until July 28- Aug. 2
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).