Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of July 21 to July 27.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single-lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Alternating single-lane closures southbound, July 23, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Single-lane closure northbound, July 25, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closure eastbound, July 22-26, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure eastbound, July 22-26, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating single-lane closure westbound, July 22-24, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure westbound, July 22-26, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating single-lane closure northbound and southbound, July 15-16, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Single-lane closure eastbound, July 25, from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from the Route 199/Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242):
- July 21-25, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound and from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. eastbound
- With assistance from Virginia State Police, there will also be a series of temporary stoppages on I-64 west, lasting no longer than 20 minutes each, for bridge work at the Lakeshead Drive overpass July 23-24, between midnight and 5 a.m.
- Daytime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass on July 22-26, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- Brief, intermittent flagging operations on Colonial Parkway on July 24, between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- Nighttime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass on July 23-24, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 in both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- July 21-25. from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- July 26, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- July 27, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed:
- July 21, from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- July 26-27, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Triple lane closures eastbound from Hampton Roads Center Parkway (exit 261) to Mercury Boulevard (exit 263) July 22, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Double lane closures westbound from Mercury Boulevard (exit 263) to Hampton Roads Center Parkway (exit 261) July 22-23, from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Double lane closures on I-64 west at the Denbigh Boulevard overpass July 25-27, along with intermittent stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes on July 27, as follows:
- July 25, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- July 26, from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- July 27, from 11 p.m. to 8 a.m.
64/264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach:
- Full closure of the I-264 east collector-distributor road (outside lanes) from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newton Road (exit 15), July 23-24, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Signed detour will direct traffic to I-64 east and Indian River Road. Motorists will be directed back to I-64 west from Indian River Road and to the exit for I-264 east and Newtown Road.
- Full closure of I-64 west ramp to I-264 east (exit 284B), July 25-26, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure of the I-264 east mainline/inside lanes from Military Highway (exit 13) to Newtown Road (exit 15), and the I-64 east ramp to I-264 east will be closed July 26-29, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Traffic will be detoured to the collector-distributor road (outside set) of I-264 east. The flyover ramp (exit 284A) from I-64 east to I-264 east will also close during this detour, with a diversion to Exit 284B. The I-64 reversible HOV lanes will reverse to westbound as early as 10 p.m. during this detour.
- Alternating double lane closures between the I-64 interchange and Norfolk Naval Station Gate 3 on July 22-24, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound and 7 p.m. to 4 a.m. eastbound.
- Full ramp closure from I-95 north to US-301(Sussex Drive) until July 12-25.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).