NORFOLK — The grand opening of the area’s first ever food hall, Granby Station, has been pushed from its original timeline of Summer 2019 to Fall 2019.
Granby Station needed just a bit more time to get things sorted out, said Jake Caburian, Granby Station spokesman.
He was, however, able to share the food and drink concepts that will be available once they do open to the public.
The food hall concept
Granby Station is slated to open as Hampton Roads’ first food hall, containing 12 different food options and two different drink options for people to choose from, Caburian said.
He said a food hall is traditionally known as a “communal space filled with local food vendors serving fresh and flavorful food.”
“There’s a lot of interesting kinds of food being made in the area,” he said. “Our inspiration for opening a food hall in downtown Norfolk came from seeing what other cities are doing to grow and diversify their food scenes.”
The food and drink lineup Granby Station has chosen shows that culinary diversity.
“There are so many exceptional chefs and restaurants that are trying out new and innovative things with cuisines from around the world,” he said.
Cuisine options range from a bakery to Filipino cuisine to BBQ to Vietnamese food.
Granby Station also has managed to snag a few existing Hampton Roads vendors.
Pop-ups and more
To get people ready for the fall opening, Granby Station has set up a few free pop-ups for people to come and try the different food options, Caburian said:
- July 20, Merienda at Granby Theater 6 to 9 p.m.
- July 29, La Poutinerie at Granby Theater 6 to 9 p.m.
- July 30, Chicken Shack at Granby Theater 6 to 9 p.m.
“The restaurant business is tough and it can be hard to bring this kind of innovation and flavor to people,” Caburian said..
Here is the full list of food and drink vendors available starting this fall:
- Lumi Air Bakery (Bakery)
- Merienda (Filipino)
- Hunt & Smoke (BBQ)
- Chicken Shack (Nashville Hot Chicken)
- La Poutinerie (Poutines)
- Pho 79’ (Vietnamese) – Existing Hampton Roads vendor
- Kung Fu Tea (Boba Tea) – Existing Hampton Roads vendor
- SnoCream Company (Taiwanese Shaved Ice) – Existing vendor
- Plant Based Eatz (Vegan) – Existing Hampton Roads vendor
- Cumin (Indian) – Existing Hampton Roads vendor
- Bop (Korean)
- Maymar Poke (Poke) – Existing Hampton Roads vendor
- Bar Kada (Craft Cocktail Bar)
- American Brew (Coffee) – Existing Hampton Roads vendor
“We at Granby Station saw a space for this to happen in the emerging downtown Norfolk area,” Caburian said. “Hampton Roads is bursting with local talent and our goal is to provide a space where these chefs and innovators can bring bold, diverse food offerings to downtown Norfolk.”