Here’s why this mass shooting survivor was arrested

The mass shooting happened in Building 2, May 31, 2019. (Southside Daily/Melanie Occhiuzzo)
The mass shooting happened in Building 2, May 31, 2019. (Southside Daily/Melanie Occhiuzzo)

VIRGINIA BEACH — A survivor of the mass shooting in Virginia Beach who doesn’t want to return to his workplace has been arrested on a “disturbing the peace” charge.

Jonathan McIvor is accused of raising his voice and showing hostility when his supervisors asked why he won’t return to work in the building where a city employee killed 12 people.

Chief technology officer Darrell Riddick and acting operations manager Jamie Weaver filed the complaint. They alleged that McIvor began yelling, “stood up aggressively” and stormed out, saying he was going to call Human Resources.

McIvor’s bosses said the shooting has them afraid of future escalations. They accused McIvor of having acted aggressively before.

McIvor’s attorney said the criminal complaint does not accuse McIvor of making any threats: “The man did nothing remotely close to criminal,” Taite Westendorf said.

Virginia Beach’s city manager has said nobody will be forced to return to the building. But McIvor’s information technology job apparently requires that he access server equipment in the basement.

The paper reports McIvor was held for more than 24 hours before he was freed pending a July 31 trial. Westendorf is hoping the charge is dropped.

RELATED STORY: Virginia Beach mass shooting aftermath: Here’s what city officials talked about regarding Building 2

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
SHARE
Previous articleM. Joyce ‘Joy’ Cosgrove Phillips, 84, former Junior Olympic Games swimmer
Next articleThis ex-Virginia Beach delegate is headed to prison
John Mangalonzo (john@localvoicemedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.