Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of June 30 to July 6.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
However, to ease Independence Day travel, VDOT is suspending most highway work zones and lifting most lane closures on interstates and major roads in the state from noon on Wednesday, July 3 until noon Friday, July 5.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Single-lane closure southbound, July 1-2, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures northbound, July 1-2 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64
- Single-lane closure eastbound, June 30, from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures in both directions, July 1-2, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242):
- July 1-2, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound
- July 1-2, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. eastbound
- Daytime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, on July 1-3, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- Daytime lane closure under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive at Bruton High School on July 1-3 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- I-64 alternating single-lane closures both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- June 30- July 2 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- July 5 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- July 6 from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed:
- June 29, from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- July 1, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m
- Alternating single-lane closures in both directions between Bowers Hill and Greenbrier Parkway, July 1-2, 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A consecutive full ramp closure from the northbound LaSalle Avenue on-ramp to I-64 east in Hampton continues until summer 2019 for bridge repair work. Find project and detour information here.
- On-ramp to I-264 east from Newtown Road north and south will be closed 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. July 1-3. Detour will be in place.
- Full ramp closure from I-95 north to US-301(Sussex Drive) on June 30- July 6.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).