Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of June 23 to June 29.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Single-lane closure northbound, June 24-26, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, I-64
- Full closure westbound for tide gate testing, June 23, from 3 a.m. to 4 a.m.
- Single-lane closure eastbound, June 27, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures eastbound,
- June 23-27, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- June 28, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- June 29, from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Single-lane closure westbound, June 27, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A series of test openings expected to last about 20 minutes each will be performed north and south on June 21-23, between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- Slow rolls with stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes:
- westbound and eastbound (one direction at a time), June 24, midnight to 5 a.m.
- westbound and eastbound (one direction at a time) June 26-27, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot exit (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242):
- June 23, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound
- June 24-27, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- June 28, starting as early as 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- With assistance from Virginia State Police, there will also be a series of temporary stoppages on I-64 west, lasting no longer than 20 minutes each, for bridge work at the Lakeshead Drive overpass June 23, between midnight and 5 a.m.
- Daytime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, on June 24-28, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- Daytime lane closure under flagger control on Rochambeau Drive at Bruton High School on June 24-28 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- I-64 alternating single-lane closures eastbound and westbound between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- June 23-28, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
64 Express Lanes
- Express lanes will be closed:
- June 25, from 9 a.m. to noon.
- June 26, from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m
- June 26-28, from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Slow rolls with stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes and a double lane closure on I-64 west from Denbigh Boulevard to Fort Eustis Boulevard, 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. the nights of June 23-27. Slow rolls begin at 10 p.m.
- Slow rolls with stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes and a double lane closure on I-64 east from Jefferson Avenue to J Clyde Morris Boulevard, 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. the nights of June 24-25. Slow rolls begin at midnight.
- A consecutive full ramp closure from the northbound LaSalle Avenue on-ramp to I-64 east in Hampton continues until summer 2019 for bridge repair work. Find project and detour information here.
- The mainline/inside set of I-264 east at the I-64 interchange will close 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. the night of June 23. Traffic will be detoured to the collector-distributor road (outside set) of I-264 east. The flyover ramp (Exit 284A) from I-64 east to I-264 east will also close during this detour, with a diversion to Exit 284B.
- The Newtown Road on-ramp to I-264 east will close nightly from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. June 23-27. Detours will direct traffic to the Witchduck Road on-ramp.
- Full ramp closure from I-95 north to US-301(Sussex Drive) on June 20-26.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).