Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of May 26 to June 1.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Alternating single-lane closures south, May 28-29, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures eastbound, May 30, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A series of test openings expected to last about 20 minutes each will be performed on May 31-June 2, between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- Single-lane closure eastbound, May 29-31, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating lane closures on I-64 east and west, between west of Route 199 (exit 242) and east of exit 247 (Lee Hall), May 28-31, starting as early as 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full ramp closure at the I-64 west on-ramp to Route 143 (exit 243B) with signed detours in place, May 28-30, 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Lane closures under flagger control on Yorktown Road and Penniman Road at the I-64 overpasses May 28-June 1, from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from the Queens Creek bridges to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242):
- May 28-29, eastbound from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 29-30, westbound 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- With assistance from Virginia State Police, there will also be a series of temporary stoppages on I-64 west, lasting no longer than 20 minutes each, for bridge work at the Lakeshead Drive overpass May 29-30 between midnight and 5 a.m.
- Day and nighttime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, on May 28-31, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and May 29-30, between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- Short, intermittent lane closures under flagger control on Colonial Parkway, May 28-31, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- I-64 alternating single-lane closures both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- May 28-30, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 31, from 9 p.m to 7 a.m.
- June 1, from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- The 64 Express Lanes will be closed:
- May 28, from 9 p.m to 3 a.m.
- May 31, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- The lanes may be reversed to westbound direction as early as 10 p.m., May 29-30 due to work at the I-64/264 Interchange.
- Full ramp closures on I-64 exit 258 to J. Clyde Morris, alternating exit 258A and exit 258B, May 28-30, from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A consecutive full ramp closure from the northbound LaSalle Avenue on-ramp to I-64 east in Hampton continues until summer 2019 for bridge repair work. As of April 24, a full westbound closure is in place on Armistead Avenue beneath the I-64 overpass for up to six weeks. Find project and detour information here.
- Full closure of I-264 east collector-distributor road (outside lanes) between Military Highway and Newtown Road 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. the nights of May 28 and 29. Detour at I-64/264 interchange to Indian River Road. Mainline I-264 east will remain open.
- Full closure of mainline/inside set of I-264 east at I-64 interchange 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. the nights of May 30-June 1. Traffic will be detoured to the collector-distributor road (outside set) of I-264 east. The flyover ramp (Exit 284A) from I-64 east to I-264 east will also close during this detour, with a diversion to Exit 284B. The I-64 reversible HOV lanes will reverse to westbound as early as 10 p.m. during this detour on weeknights.
- Slow rolls with stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes on I-64 east from Greenbrier Parkway to Twin Bridges, midnight to 4 a.m. the nights of May 31-June 2.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).