Memorial Day is on Monday, May 27 this year and both Virginia Beach and Norfolk will be running on an adjusted operating schedule for the holiday.
The following city facilities will be closed on Monday in observance of Memorial Day:
- All City of Virginia Beach offices
- All Virginia Beach community recreation centers
- All Virginia Beach Public Library locations will be closed May 26 & 27
- Francis Land House, Lynnhaven House, Thoroughgood House and the Princess Anne County Training School/Union Kempsville High School Museum
- Sandler Center for the Performing Arts, administration office & box office
- Tidewater Community College/City Joint-Use Library will be closed May 25, 26 & 27
- Virginia Beach Circuit Court, General District Court, Juvenile & Domestic Relations Courts and clerk’s offices
- Virginia Beach Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office
- Virginia Beach Convention Center administrative offices
- Virginia Beach City Landfill & Resource Recovery Center
- Virginia Beach Public Health Department
The following facilities will be open to the public on Monday:
- All Virginia Beach city parks and park facilities: 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Virginia Beach Animal Care & Adoption Center: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Virginia Beach Farmers Market Office Closed – Merchants Open: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Visitor Center – Chesapeake Bay Center at First Landing: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Visitor Center Kiosks (17th & 24th streets): 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Visitor Information Center – Parks Avenue: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The city’s government offices, including City Hall, will be closed on Monday in observance of Memorial Day.
The closures include the offices of the Commissioner of the Revenue and the City Treasurer.
Offices will reopen at regular business hours on Tuesday.
The City of Norfolk Courthouse and Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court will be closed on Monday.
All Norfolk public libraries and all recreation centers, including pools, also are closed Monday.
All requests for bulk waste collection for Tuesday must be made before 3 p.m. Friday (May 24).
Bulk requests may be scheduled by calling the Norfolk Cares Center at 757-664-6510 or by filling out a request here and click on the Request Tracker.
The Household Hazardous Waste and E-waste site on Pineridge Road will be closed Monday.
Norfolk residents can drop-off unwanted E-waste seven days a week/24 hours per day at the Division of Towing and Recovery at 1188-A Lance Road.
Lifeguards begin duty on Saturday.
Hours are 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily through Labor Day.
Lifeguards are located at the following city beaches:
- Community Beach Park – 700 E. Ocean View Avenue
- Sarah Constant Beach Park – 300 W. Ocean View Avenue
- Ocean View Beach Park – 100 W. Ocean View Avenue
Parking is free at all three locations.