Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of May 19 to May 25.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Alternating single-lane closures north:
- May 19-20, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 22, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures eastbound:
- Willoughby Bridge, May 20-23, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- HRBT Bridges, May 20-23, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure for tide gate testing on May 19:
- eastbound, from 2 a.m. to 3 a.m.
- westbound, from 3 a.m. to 4 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures westbound, May 21-23, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Bridge openings will be done manually and last approximately 45 minutes until maintenance work is completed.
- Alternating single-lane closures, May 22-23, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures, May 20-21, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m
- Overnight double-lane closures on I-64 east and west, between west of exit 242 (Route 199) and east of exit 247 (Lee Hall), May 19-24, starting as early as 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Daytime single-lane closures on I-64 east and west, between west of exit 247 (Lee Hall) and east of exit 242 (Route 199), May 20-24, from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. (ending at noon on Friday).
- Full ramp closures on I-64 with signed detours in place, May 19-23, starting as early as 7 p.m. at the following ramps: (**All ramps will not be closed at the same time to maintain access to the detour routes.)
- I-64 east and west to Route 60/Busch Gardens (exit 243A)
- I-64 east and west to Route 143 (exit 243B)
- Route 60 on-ramp to I-64 east and west
- I-64 east and west to Route 199 west (exit 242A)
- I-64 east and west to Route 199 east (exit 242B)
- Route 199 east and west on-ramps to I-64 east and west
- I-64 east and west to Yorktown Road/Jefferson Avenue (exit 247)
- Jefferson Avenue (Route 143) on-ramps to I-64 east and west
- Yorktown Road (Route 238) on-ramp to I-64 east
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242):
- May 19, eastbound from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 19-23, 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound and 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. eastbound
- With assistance from Virginia State Police, there will also be a series of temporary stoppages on I-64 east and west, lasting no longer than 20 minutes each, for bridge work at the Lakeshead Drive overpass between midnight and 5 a.m., on May 19-20 eastbound and May 22 westbound.
- Day and nighttime lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, on May 20-24, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and May 22, between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- I-64 alternating single-lane closures both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway, May 19-24, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Up to three slow rolls with full stoppages lasting up to 20 minutes each on I-64 west between George Washington Highway and the High Rise Bridge, May 21-22, beginning at 9 p.m.
- The 64 Express Lanes will be closed:
- May 19, from 7 a.m to 6 p.m.
- May 20, from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- May 23, from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- The lanes may be reversed to westbound direction as early as 10 p.m., May 20-23 due to work at the I-64/264 Interchange.
- A consecutive full ramp closure from the northbound LaSalle Avenue on-ramp to I-64 east in Hampton continues until summer 2019 for bridge repair work. As of April 24, a full westbound closure is in place on Armistead Avenue beneath the I-64 overpass for up to six weeks. Find project and detour information here.
- Motorists should expect to encounter one of these detours when traveling through the 64/264 interchange the nights of May 20-23. These detours will not occur on the same night.
- Full closure of mainline/inside set of I-264 east at I-64 interchange 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. Traffic will be detoured to the collector-distributor road (outside set) of I-264 east. The flyover ramp (Exit 284A) from I-64 east to I-264 east will also close during this detour, with a diversion to Exit 284B. The I-64 reversible HOV lanes will reverse to westbound as early as 10 p.m. during this detour.
- Full closure of I-264 east collector-distributor road (outside lanes) between Military Highway and Newtown Road 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Detour at I-64/264 interchange to Indian River Road. Mainline I-264 east will remain open.
- The following ramps will be closed at I-264 and Newtown Road for paving of Newtown Road:
- May 20: On-ramp to I-264 west from Newtown Road south will close as early as 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Traffic will be detoured to the Newtown Road north on-ramp via Center Drive and Kempsville Road.
- May 21: On-ramps to I-264 west from Newtown Road north and to I-264 east from Newtown Road south will be closed from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Detours will be in place.
- May 22: Traffic exiting I-264 east at Newtown Road will be restricted from turning left onto Newtown Road north and from continuing straight to Greenwich Road. Detours will be in place.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).