Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of May 12 to May 18.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
For information on the many other lane closures necessary for maintenance and construction throughout Hampton Roads, visit 511Virginia.org, download the 511VA smartphone app, or dial 511.
- Alternating single-lane closures north: May 14, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Single-lane closures south, May 13-15, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single lane closures:
- westbound, May 13, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- eastbound, May 16, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Full closure for tide gate testing on May 19:
- eastbound, from 2 a.m. to 3 a.m.
- westbound, from 3 a.m. to 4 a.m.
Berkley Bridge, I-264:
- Alternating single-lane closures May 16, from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m
George P. Coleman Bridge, Route 17:
- Brief, intermittent stoppages less than 10 minutes each for lift-gate repairs May 13-17 scheduled at 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., with additional stoppages possible if needed between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
I-64 Widening Project, Newport News/York County/James City County
- Overnight double-lane closures on I-64 east and west, between west of exit 242 (Route 199) and east of exit 247 (Lee Hall), May 12-17, starting as early as 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Daytime single-lane closures on I-64 east and west, between west of exit 247 (Lee Hall) and east of exit 242 (Route 199), May 13-17 , from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Full ramp closures on I-64 with signed detours in place, May 12-16, starting as early as 7 p.m. at the following ramps: (**All ramps will not be closed at the same time to maintain access to the detour routes.)
- I-64 east and west to Route 60/Busch Gardens (exit 243A)
- I-64 east and west to Route 143 (exit 243B)
- Route 60 on-ramp to I-64 east and west
- I-64 east and west to Route 199 west (exit 242A)
- I-64 east and west to Route 199 east (exit 242B)
- Route 199 east and west on-ramps to I-64 east and west
- I-64 east and west to Yorktown Road/Jefferson Avenue (exit 247)
- Jefferson Avenue (Route 143) on-ramps to I-64 east and west
- Yorktown Road (Route 238) on-ramp to I-64 east
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242):
- May 12, eastbound from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 13-16, 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. westbound and 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. eastbound
- With assistance from Virginia State Police, there will also be a series of temporary stoppages on I-64 east and west, lasting no longer than 20 minutes each, for bridge work at the Lakeshead Drive overpass starting May 12-15, between midnight and 5 a.m.
- Day and nighttime consecutive lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, on May 13-17, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and May 14, between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
I-64 Southside – High Rise Bridge
- I-64 alternating single-lane closures both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- May 12-16, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 17, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
64 Express Lanes
- The 64 Express Lanes will be closed:
- May 13, from 9 a.m to 11 a.m.
- May 13-16, from 9 a.m. to noon
- May 17, from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- May 18, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- May 18, from 12:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- The lanes may be reversed to westbound direction as early as 10 p.m. on weeknights due to work at the I-64/264 Interchange.
- A consecutive full ramp closure from the northbound LaSalle Avenue on-ramp to I-64 east in Hampton continues until summer 2019 for bridge repair work. As of April 24, a full westbound closure is in place on Armistead Avenue beneath the I-64 overpass for up to 6 weeks. Find project and detour information here.
64/264 Interchange Improvements Project, Norfolk/Virginia Beach
- Motorists should expect to encounter one of these detours when traveling through the 64/264 interchange during the next two weeks:
- Full closure of mainline/inside set of I-264 east at I-64 interchange 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. Traffic will be detoured to the collector-distributor road (outside set) of I-264 east. The flyover ramp (Exit 284A) from I-64 east to I-264 east will also close during this detour, with a diversion to Exit 284B. The I-64 reversible HOV lanes will reverse to westbound as early as 10 p.m. during this detour.
- Full closure of I-264 east collector-distributor road (outside lanes) between Military Highway and Newtown Road 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Detour at I-64/264 interchange to Indian River Road. Mainline I-264 east will remain open.
- **The above detours will not occur on the same night.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels):
- Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).