Cocaine was delivered to a public storage facility in Virginia Beach. Now this trafficker is off to prison

Ulises Garcia-Razo (Southside Daily/Courtesy of Western Tidewater Regional Jail)
Ulises Garcia-Razo (Southside Daily/Courtesy of Western Tidewater Regional Jail)

A Mexican man was sentenced in federal court Tuesday to 10 years in prison for conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute 5 kilograms or more of cocaine.

According to court documents, Ulises Garcia-Razo, 39, flew from Mexico to Norfolk on two occasions in June and July of 2018 to collect more than $500,000 in drug proceeds and to retrieve multiple kilograms of unsold cocaine that had previously been shipped to Virginia.

Garcia-Razo acted on behalf of a large-scale cocaine trafficking organization based in Mexico and California whose members orchestrated the delivery of at least two large shipments of cocaine in the spring and early summer of 2018, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia.

The cocaine was shipped cross-country by truck and delivered to a public storage facility in Virginia Beach disguised as hot-air balloon equipment.

In July 2018, Garcia-Razo and other co-defendants were arrested at a local hotel with 8 kilograms of cocaine and a large amount of cash after FBI, DEA, and Norfolk Police set up a successful sting operation, prosecutors said.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous articleUSS Truman’s command master chief retires following ‘strip club’ comment during VP visit
Next articleNorfolk Police ID body pulled from the Lafayette River
John Mangalonzo ( is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.