Crews recover body of missing boater

Paul Youngk (Courtesy of 13NewsNow)
Paul Youngk (Courtesy of 13NewsNow)

NORFOLK — The body of a missing boater was recovered from inside his capsized boat Monday morning, authorities said.

Paul Youngk, 65, of Suffolk, was last seen on Saturday on his sailing vessel Grafin, which had run aground off Fort Norfolk.

On Sunday around 5:20 a.m., dispatchers received a call about a capsized boat approximately 15 feet from shore in the 500 block of Front Street.

When first responders arrived, they attempted to locate the owner of the boat, but were unsuccessful, authorities said.

Several agencies responded to the area over the weekend to investigate, including the Coast Guard, Virginia Marine Police, Norfolk-Fire Rescue, and the Norfolk Police Harbor Patrol.

Around 8:45 a.m. Monday, crews recovered Youngk’s body from his boat.

The case has been classified as an undetermined death investigation and has been turned over to the Medical Examiner to determine the exact cause of death, authorities said.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous articleThere’s more than music happening this weekend at ‘Something in the Water’
Next articleDante Bumanglag Calixto, 76, proud Navy veteran who served during the Vietnam War
John Mangalonzo ( is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.