Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of April 21 to April 27.
**VDOT will lift most lane closures for holiday travel from noon Friday, April 19 until noon Tuesday, April 23. However, motorists may encounter exceptions, in bold below.**
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
- Alternating single-lane closures north:
- April 23-25, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures south:
- April 23-25, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Alternating single-lane closures:
- Eastbound April 23-25, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Westbound April 23-25, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closure westbound April 24, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Overnight alternating double-lane closures possible on I-64 west and east:
- April 22-26, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m., between exit 242 (Route 199) and exit 243 (Route 143/Busch Gardens)
- Daytime single-lane closures possible on I-64, from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m., between exit 247 (Lee Hall) and exit 242 (Route 199) as follows. One lane will remain open to traffic at all times:
- Westbound April 22-23
- Eastbound April 22-26
- Full ramp closures on I-64 with signed detours in place, April 22-26, starting as early as 7 p.m. at the following ramps: (**All ramps will not be closed at the same time to maintain access to the detour routes.)
- I-64 east and west to Route 60/Busch Gardens (exit 243A)
- I-64 east and west to Route 143 (exit 243B)
- Route 60 on-ramp to I-64 east and west
- I-64 east and west to Route 199 west (exit 242A)
- I-64 east and west to Route 199 east (exit 242B)
- Route 199 east and west on-ramps to I-64 east and west
- I-64 east and west to Yorktown Road/Jefferson Avenue (exit 247)
- Jefferson Avenue (Route 143) on-ramps to I-64 east and west
- Yorktown Road (Route 238) on-ramp to I-64 east
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Route 199 Lightfoot (exit 234) to Route 199/Humelsine Parkway (exit 242) April 23-25, starting as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. and April 26, from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Temporary stoppages possible April 23-26 between midnight and 5 a.m.
- Day and nighttime consecutive lane closures under flagger control on Lakeshead Drive at the I-64 overpass, continue this week for bridge work and Dominion Energy utility relocations. Motorist and emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- I-64 alternating single-lane closures both directions between South Military Highway and Greenbrier Parkway:
- April 23-25 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- April 26 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- The 64 Express Lanes will be closed April 23-24, from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m and April 25, from 8 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
- The off-ramp from I-64 west to George Washington Highway south (exit 296-B) in Chesapeake, April 23-25 from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- A consecutive full ramp closure from the northbound LaSalle Avenue on-ramp to I-64 east in Hampton continues until summer 2019 for bridge repair work. Starting the week of April 22, a full westbound closure will be in place on Armistead Avenue beneath the I-64 overpass for up to 6 weeks. Find project and detour information here.
- Full closure of I-264 east collector-distributor road (outside lanes) between Military Highway and Newtown Road. Detour at I-64/264 interchange to Indian River Road. Mainline I-264 east will remain open. (See the full release here.):
- April 23-25, from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).