Thousands without power following storms in Hampton Roads

A downed tree in Newport News. (Megan Shinn, 13NewsNow)
A downed tree in Newport News. (Megan Shinn, 13NewsNow)

Update 10:40 a.m.: Dominion Power is still working to restore power to a number of homes in Hampton Roads, said spokesman Jeremy Slayton. Here are the current outage numbers:

  • Williamsburg, 4,000
  • Hampton, 3,000
  • Newport News, 2,146
  • Virginia Beach, 570

Power at Christopher Newport University was restored at approximately 10:37 a.m., according to a news release from the university.

Slayton said there is no current estimate on when power is expected to be restored. An estimate will be made in the afternoon or early evening Monday.

ORIGINAL STORY: A line of thunderstorms went through Hampton Roads overnight, causing downed trees and power lines.

Thousands of Dominion Energy customers lost power. Around 7:22 a.m. Monday, more than 20,000 customers were without power. About 24,000 customers were without power earlier in the morning, according to the Dominion Energy outage map.

More than 8,500 outages are still reported in Newport News; more than 3,300 customers in Virginia Beach reported power outages, and about 1,100 are without power in York County.

A spokesman with Dominion Energy said the majority of outages are caused by downed trees and branches. He said there isn’t an estimate, at this time, when all power will be restored. Crews are still working to assess the damage.

Click here to view Dominion Energy’s power outage map or to report an outage.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
SHARE
Previous articleHere’s the most common STI in Virginia Beach and where to go for treatment
Next articleLorraine Pauline Giordano, 93, active member of St. Gregory the Great Catholic Church
John Mangalonzo (john@localvoicemedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.