W&M football player went to Norfolk for a ‘drug transaction’ when he was shot to death, court documents say

Nate Evans (WYDaily Photo/ Courtesy of the College of William & Mary)
Nate Evans (Southside Daily Photo/ Courtesy of the College of William & Mary)

The William & Mary football player who was shot death in Norfolk March 21 went there for a drug transaction, according to court documents filed in the case.

At approximately 11:46 p.m. March 21 Norfolk Police and the fire crews were dispatched to the 800 block of 43rd in response to a gunshot disturbance, police said. Nate A. Evans, 19 was found on the sidewalk and pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.

Kri’Shawn D. Beamon, 20 of Chesapeake, was arrested Monday in connection with the case. He is charged with second-degree murder, robbery, and two counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony, police said.

According to court papers police found information “from a cellular telephone belonging to Evans indicated that Evans went to the location to conduct a drug transaction with a male later identified as Kri’Shawn Del’Vante Beamon…”

RELATED STORY: Chesapeake man arrested in connection with the shooting death of William & Mary football player

During the investigation of the shooting, another man, Jerry Collins Spady, 22 of Portsmouth, was arrested at approximately 11:30 p.m. on March 22, the day after Evans was shot, authorities said.

RELATED STORY: Another man arrested in connection with investigation into the shooting death of W&M football player

Evans was a running back on the W&M’s Tribe Football team and the college had a memorial service for him following his death.

“There is a drug testing program in place,” Pete Clawson, spokesman for W&M Athletics adding the drug tests are multiple times a year and are administered randomly.
Kri’Shawn D. Beamon was arrested by Norfolk Police and charged with second-degree murder in connection with the shooting death of a William & Mary football player (Southside Daily photo/Courtesy of the City of Norfolk Police)
Kri’Shawn D. Beamon (Southside Daily photo/Courtesy of the City of Norfolk Police)
When asked if Clawson was aware of Evans being potentially connected to drugs or drug use, Clawson said: “No, not me. I was not at all aware of it.”
Clawson later sent WYDaily a link to W&M Student Handbook and directed WYDaily to the athletics drug testing section.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous articleHe’s in the US illegally and sexually assaulted a child in Virginia Beach
Next articleGary Thomas Whybark, 23
John Mangalonzo (john@localvoicemedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.