He’s in the US illegally and sexually assaulted a child in Virginia Beach

Ubaldo Adonay Moran-Arevalo (Southside Daily/Courtesy of Norfolk Sheriff’s Office)
Ubaldo Adonay Moran-Arevalo (Southside Daily/Courtesy of Norfolk Sheriff’s Office)

NORFOLK — An El Salvadoran national pleaded guilty in a federal courtroom here Thursday to illegal reentry following a felony conviction for aggravated sexual battery of a child younger than 13 years old.

According to court documents, Ubaldo Adonay Moran-Arevalo, 37, was found to be in the United States illegally in 2004 and ordered removed in 2005.

He remained in the country and was arrested in 2008 in Virginia Beach for sexually assaulting a child, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia.

After being convicted and sentenced, he was removed from the United States, but returned sometime later. Moran-Arevalo came to ICE’s attention several months ago after he was arrested in Virginia Beach for drunken driving. He has since been convicted of that charge, prosecutors said.

Moran-Arevalo faces a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison. He is scheduled to be sentenced on Aug 20.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous articleCouncilwoman Shannon Kane resigns
Next articleW&M football player went to Norfolk for a ‘drug transaction’ when he was shot to death, court documents say
John Mangalonzo (john@localvoicemedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.