Another man arrested in connection with investigation into the shooting death of W&M football player

Jerry Collins Spady (Southside Daily/Courtesy of Norfolk Sheriff’s Office)

Police in Norfolk apparently arrested another man in connection with the investigation into the shooting death of a William & Mary football player.

Jerry Collins Spady, 22, of Portsmouth was arrested at approximately 11:30 p.m. on March 22, the day after Tribe football running back Nathan A. Evans was found shot to death on the sidewalk in Norfolk, authorities said.

Spady is being held in the Norfolk City Jail without bond, police said in a news release.

“His arrest is as a result of the overall investigation,” said Cpl. William Pickering Jr., spokesman for Norfolk Police.

Authorities said Spady is charged with carrying a concealed weapon — Pickering declined to elaborate further, citing an open investigation.

The alleged shooter, Kri’Shawn D. Beamon, 20, of Chesapeake, was arrested Monday. He is charged with with second-degree murder, robbery, and two counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony.

RELATED STORY: Chesapeake man arrested in connection with the shooting death of William & Mary football player

On March 21 at approximately 11:50 p.m. Norfolk Police responded to a “gunshot disturbance” at the 800 block of West 43rd Street near Colley Avenue and found Evans on the sidewalk with a gunshot wound.

He was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

RELATED STORY: W&M football player shot, killed in Norfolk, police say

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous articleHere’s where you can find out more about the Pharrell festival
Next articleHRBT expansion to cost $3.56 billion
John Mangalonzo ( is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.