Drivers in Hampton Roads can expect closures on water crossings, interstates and notable detours for the week of March 17 to March 23.
This list covers full closures of interstates, ramps, bridges and primary roads, and single lane closures at the bridge-tunnels and the Berkley, High Rise and James River bridges.
- Single-lane closure south, with stoppages up to 20 minutes possible,
- March 15, from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- March 16, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- March 18-21, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- March 22, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- March 23, from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- March 24, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Single-lane closures west, March 18-21, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Test openings scheduled on March 19, at approximately 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. If needed, an additional test opening will occur around 11 a.m.
- Full ramp closures on I-64 with signed detours in place, March 17-21, as follows: (**All ramps will not be closed at the same time to maintain access to the detour routes.)
- I-64 east and west to Route 60/Busch Gardens (exit 243A), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 east and west to Route 143 (exit 243B), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Route 60 on-ramp to I-64 east and west, as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 east and west to Route 199 west (exit 242A), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 east and west to Route 199 east (exit 242B), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Route 199 east and west on-ramps to I-64 east and west, as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- I-64 east and west to Yorktown Road/Jefferson Avenue (exit 247), as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Jefferson Avenue (Route 143) on-ramps to I-64 east and west, as early as 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Yorktown Road (Route 238) on-ramp to I-64 east, as early as 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic shifts are scheduled to begin overnight starting March 18, on I-64 east, starting from the eastern project limits (near exit 247) and working towards the western project limits (near exit 242) over the next two weeks, weather permitting. Traffic will be shifted to the right and center travel lanes.
- Alternating single-lane closures on I-64 east and west from Colonial Parkway to Lee Hall (exit 247) March 17-23, starting as early as 8 p.m. until 5 a.m eastbound, and as early as 7 p.m. until 5 a.m. westbound.
- A consecutive, long-term full ramp closure on Route 143 Merrimac Trail north to I-64 west continues. Traffic will follow detour signage in place directing motorists to the Route 143 south on-ramp to I-64 west during the closure.
- I-64 single-lane closures both directions between South Military Highway and Battlefield Boulevard, March 17-21, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m., and March 22, from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Three to four slow roll full closures, up to twenty minutes each, on I-64 west between South Military Highway and Battlefield Boulevard, March 23, between 12:01 a.m. and 7 a.m.
- The 64 Express Lanes will be closed:
- March 18, from 9 a.m. to noon
- March 18-19, from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
- March 21, from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- March 23, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A consecutive full ramp closure from the northbound LaSalle Avenue on-ramp to I-64 east continues until May 2019 for bridge repair work. As of March 12, a full eastbound closure will also be in place on Armistead Avenue beneath the I-64 overpass for up to 6 weeks. Find project and detour information here.
- Alternating lane closures on I-95 north and south from Route 58 to Route 301, March 18-21, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Elizabeth River Tunnels (Downtown/Midtown tunnels): Go to Elizabeth River Tunnels for maintenance schedules on the Downtown Tunnel (I-264), Midtown Tunnel (U.S. 58).