Virginia Beach Police probe death of man who was ‘briefly’ admitted into jail

VIRGINIA BEACH – Sheriff’s authorities here said a man “briefly” admitted into jail died while receiving care at a hospital Wednesday morning.

Officials identified the man as Andrew Joseph Abram of Virginia Beach.

He was 35 years old. No foul play is suspected, officials said.

Abram was admitted into the Virginia Beach Jail at 12:05 a.m. after being denied bond by a magistrate “on a felony charge of violating his first offender status and a misdemeanor charge of failure to appear in court,” according to a news release from the sheriff’s office.

Authorities said Abram “was uncooperative with the arresting officer, sheriff’s deputies and jail medical staff.”

“As a result of their observations of his behavior and out of concern for his health and safety, the sheriff’s office requested hospital transport via Emergency Medical Services,” said sheriff’s office spokeswoman Kathy Hieatt. “EMS transported Mr. Abram to Sentara Princess Anne Hospital at 1:05 a.m. where, despite extensive lifesaving efforts, was pronounced deceased shortly before 4 a.m.”

Hieatt said the death will be investigated by the Virginia Beach Police Department and the Virginia Beach Sheriff’s Office Professional Standards Office.

The death has been reported to the Virginia Department of Corrections.

The cause and manner of death will be determined by the Office of the Medical Examiner in Norfolk, Hieatt said.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous articleIce-T, anyone?
Next articleDonald M. Grant, 91, dedicated member of London Bridge Baptist Church
John Mangalonzo ( is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.