‘Papa,’ VLM’s American red wolf, has died

Papa, a 16-year-old American red wolf at the Virginia Living Museum, died (WYDaily Photo/ Courtesy of the Virginia Living Museum)
Papa, a 16-year-old American red wolf at the Virginia Living Museum, died (Southside Daily Photo/ Courtesy of the Virginia Living Museum)

The Virginia Living Museum‘s oldest male American red Wolf has died.

He was 16 years old.

“He has been a wonderful ambassador for his species and will be greatly missed,” museum officials wrote on their Facebook page last Thursday night.

According to the museum’s website, Papa was the oldest male American red wolf on exhibit in the U.S. The museum acquired Papa in November 2005 when he was two-and-a-half years old from the Alligator National Wildlife Refuge in North Carolina.

In a span of two years, he fathered seven pups and two of which, both males, remained at the museum until he died.

For more information about the American Red Wolf Species Survival Program, visit the VLM’s website.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous articleRobert Joseph ‘Rob’ Swan Jr., 62, enjoyed many bike rides on the boardwalk
Next articleYou might want to avoid a portion of this road
John Mangalonzo (john@localvoicemedia.com) is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.