An employee fell at Newport News Shipyard. He died three weeks later

James Goins, a master shipbuilder and sheet metal worker specialist for Newport News Shipbuilding, fell at the shipyard on Dec. 13, said Duane Bourne, NNS spokesman.

After the incident, Goins was hospitalized for his injuries and died at the hospital on Jan. 3.

Bourne released the following statement in an email to Southside Daily’s sister publication, WYDaily:

“On Jan. 3, we were notified that James Goins, a master shipbuilder and sheet metal worker specialist, passed away after being hospitalized for injuries sustained during a fall at our facility on Dec. 13. Our thoughts are with his family and friends during this time of loss. Our priority has been Mr. Goins’ care following his injury, and his family – providing them support, while respecting their privacy. We have also been focused on understanding how this accident occurred and preventing it from happening again. We immediately conducted an internal investigation and are also cooperating with OSHA on its investigation. Because there is an active ongoing OSHA investigation and in the interest of the family’s privacy, we cannot provide additional details at this time.”

Bourne said the company sent a letter to shipyard employees after Goins’ was injured.

No other information about the incident was immediately released.

Always be informed. Get the latest news and information delivered to your inbox

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous articleNordstrom store in MacArthur Center to close in April
Next articleOld and unemployed? Here’s how you can adapt to the workforce
John Mangalonzo ( is the managing editor of Local Voice Media’s Virginia papers – WYDaily (Williamsburg), Southside Daily (Virginia Beach) and HNNDaily (Hampton-Newport News). Before coming to Local Voice, John was the senior content editor of The Bellingham Herald, a McClatchy newspaper in Washington state. Previously, he served as city editor/content strategist for USA Today Network newsrooms in St. George and Cedar City, Utah. John started his professional journalism career shortly after graduating from Lyceum of The Philippines University in 1990. As a rookie reporter for a national newspaper in Manila that year, John was assigned to cover four of the most dangerous cities in Metro Manila. Later that year, John was transferred to cover the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines. He spent the latter part of 1990 to early 1992 embedded with troopers in the southern Philippines as they fought with communist rebels and Muslim extremists. His U.S. journalism career includes reporting and editing stints for newspapers and other media outlets in New York City, California, Texas, Iowa, Utah, Colorado and Washington state.