The I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Phase I project is nearing a construction milestone as the contractor prepares the new I-64 west exit and off-ramp to receive traffic.
The traffic shift, which is expected to occur in early 2019, will require a weekend detour at the I-64 west off-ramp to I-264 east (Exit 284B), and at the I-264 east exit to Newtown Road, according to VDOT.
To complete the work necessary to shift traffic, motorists traveling from I-64 west to I-264 east and from I-264 east to Newtown Road will be detoured for an entire weekend:
- The detour for the I-64 west ramp to I-264 east (Exit 284B) will direct traffic to take the next exit (Exit 284A) and continue to ride the interchange cloverleaf ramps until they exit to I-264 east from I-64 east.
- The detour for Newtown Road (Exit 15A) will direct traffic to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) and back to Newtown Road via Virginia Beach Boulevard.
After the traffic shift, vehicles will be using the newly constructed I-64 west ramp and a new I-264 east collector-distributor road serving Newtown Road, according to a news release from VDOT.
While this shift will move traffic to new pavement and bridge structure, motorists should not expect a noticeable change in traffic conditions, as portions of the project, including additional lanes that will add capacity when the work is complete, remain under construction.
More detail for these detours will be shared when the work is scheduled, VDOT said.
The fixed completion date for the I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Phase I project is scheduled for October 2019.
Progress report and a look ahead
- Bridge decks of B-605 (collector-distributor road) and B-603 (ramp to B-605)
- Concrete parapet barriers on B-605 (collector-distributor road)
- Section of concrete deck on B-602 (ramp to I-264 east)
- Sections of sound wall on I-64 west
- Box culverts at Newtown Road Exit 15A
- Overhead sign structure on I-64 west
- Sound wall panel installation along I-64 west
- Constructing Exit 15A temporary tie-in to Phase II project
- Pouring bridge parapet walls
- Paving I-64 west
- Maintaining erosion and settlement control measures
- Traffic shift to new ramp and collector-distributor road
- Replaced 24″ sanitary sewer line under Newtown Road south
- Nightly detours for southbound Newtown Road for utility relocation
- Traffic barrier and temporary lighting on I-264 east
- Utility relocation under Newtown Road
- Excavating for stormwater management at Newtown and Witchduck
- Pile-driving and installation of quad box culvert near Top Golf
- Pile-driving behind Top Golf for new bridge over I-264
- Pile-driving for ground improvements, bridge over Newtown Road and box culvert extension
- Storm drainage installation at Newtown Road and along I-264 east behind Marriott hotel
- Drilled shaft foundations and columns in Newton Road median
- Pile-driving near Cleveland Street
- Underground utility work on Greenwich Road
- A weekend detour will be scheduled in early 2019 for motorists traveling from I-64 west to I-264 east and from I-264 east to Newtown Road.
- A barrier wall will be installed on the shoulder of the ramp from the I-264 east collector-distributor road to I-64 east (Exit 14A) in early 2019. This operation has yet to be scheduled but will be done during off-peak travel times. The barrier will remove the shoulder of the ramp for an extended time so crews can install a sound wall along a portion of I-64 east. Additional notice will be provided when the work is scheduled.
- Shoulders along I-64 west and a portion of I-264 east are closed for construction.
- Motorists should expect night-time single-lane closures on the interstates when traveling through the project area.
For more on the project, click here.