VIRGINIA BEACH — Military wife and mother of three Erika Tucker always believed in giving back to her community.
From that, she started the annual holiday pajama drive.
For the past 10 years Pajama Jams has served the children of Hampton Roads by collecting pajamas that are then distributed during the holiday season.
Tucker thought of the idea after her children expressed disappointment over getting a “dumb” pair of pajamas for Christmas and she wanted to show them that there was more to life than getting the latest new toy for Christmas.
The 2018 Pajama Jams 10th Anniversary Holiday Pajama Drive kicks off Wednesday, Nov. 7.
In celebration of their 10-year anniversary, this year’s goal is to exceed 10,000 pairs of donated pajamas.
In past years 100 percent of the pajamas collected during the drive have benefited more than 9,500 Hampton Roads children.
The pajama drive will run from Nov. 7 to Dec. 6 with drop-off locations throughout Hampton Roads.
The 2018 pajama recipients are The Samaritan House, ForKids and children of BF Williams and James Monroe Elementary schools.
With the help of sponsors, Pajama Jams holds a series of awareness and collection events as part of the PJs for the Holidays program.
Groups and individuals are encouraged to take the Pajama Pledge by collecting pajamas and bringing them to one of many seasonal drop-off locations.
Donors may take the pledge by registering online.
This year, with the number of pajamas being collected, there is a need for a van, truck or bus to help transport pajamas from the drop off locations to the sorting location and ultimately to the distribution point.
If any church, school or person can help facilitate pajama transportation, contact Tucker at 757-504-3076 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below you can find a list of the 2018 pajama collection sponsors and drop-off locations:
- Brain Balance of Virginia Beach, 5286 Fairfield Shopping Center, Virginia Beach
- Coastal Chiropractic (2 locations), 119 W. 21st St., Norfolk and 1812 Baltic Ave., Virginia Beach
- Davidson Orthodontics, 401 N. Great Neck Road, Suite 122, Virginia Beach
- iNLet Fitness (2 locations), 2101 W. Great Neck Road and 2336 Elson Green Ave., Virginia Beach
- Long and Foster, 3181 Shore Drive, Virginia Beach
- Merengue Hair Salon, 3912 Bonney Road Suite 102, Virginia Beach
- MOCA, 2200 Parks Ave., Virginia Beach
- Music and Motion Dance Studio, 629 N. Lynnhaven Road, Virginia Beach
- RUNNING Etc. (2 locations),1940 Laskin Road Suite 302 and 1707 Colley Ave., Virginia Beach
- Studio Bamboo Institute of Yoga (2 locations), 2861 Lynnhaven Drive, Suite 108, Virginia Beach and 1116 Volvo Parkway Suite 101, Virginia Beach
- Whole Foods Market, 1800 Laskin Road, Virginia Beach
- Wareing’s Gym, 700 19th St., Virginia Beach
Pajama Jams collection events
- iNLet Fitness South, Thursday, Nov. 22, 2018, 8-9:15 a.m.
- iNLet Fitness South, Thursday, Nov. 22, 2018, 9:15 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Pajama Day at Cape Henry Collegiate School, pajamas will be collected Dec. 3-7 at the lower school.